Sunday, May 24, 2009

Last one for the day...I promise!


Maybe I am experiencing typing-diarrhea or maybe it is simply because internet connection has been nearly impossible for the last few days, I am particularly in the mood to blog today so please bare with me! It finally comes time to begin count down the days before we depart Ghana. With everyday past, the buildings are looking closer and closer to their final form. In order to successfully (and more importantly, timely) complete the project, there has been many masons, carpenters, and benders helping us with the form work for the columns and lintels for the past three days. Many more trenches for the verandas' foundation and gardening walls have been dug, and many more plains around the buildings are being leveled for the entrance reception, courtyard, and gardens. In the flurry of activities, it is a good time to evaluate some of the do-and-don't of this project. Under a tremendous financial and time constraint, many of the participation aspects in the project was forced to be cutback right from the design to the construction of actual buildings. Many students are feeling that they have been spending all of their time digging trenches. Furthermore, the difficulties with timing and communication meant we often have to take several bus trips to complete a single task hence increasing the already pretty substantial carbon footprint of the project. There are no doubt that many of the aspects of this opportunity can be made better by more student participation and more project management, but on the same token I must pay recognition to the work that has been done by the team leaders up to this point for it is nothing less than unimaginable by ordinary standards. I feel that the fundamental trouble occurred at the scope of the project, because it is much more than what our original funding and available labour could manage. If we are to repeat the effort, or if anyone is interested in doing similar efforts for that matter, I say we should carefully consider the balance between ambition and the limitations that we are confronted with to ensure that everyone can have the learning experience they came for. For me though, despite the hardship of the project, I still had the pleasure of meeting and learning about the amazing people and culture that is Ghana. It made me realize once again that it is not about where you are or what you do as much as how you made it to be. I am going to end this passage on a really positive note that the elders in the village and the ministry of education in Volta Region have commended the project to be a model school.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jason,
    very nice stories.
    Could you please ask Mitch Popa to call his
    parents!!!

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    Great writing. Keep up with the entries.

    Living vicariously...
    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am glad you’re doing the journaling. We need a vacation already! And need I say Dr MacB must be regretting his decision for the locals to not make the bricks themselves at lower cost? The Ghanaians seem to know what they’re doing so I don’t understand why the professors try and run things. We would have saved money staying closer in to Kpedze. I hate that he’s making locals cook our food without paying them. No wonder they are trying so hard to not view us as part of the WHITE MAN syndrome in Ghana. Will be miracle if we finish on time, but I do believe in miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jason. You have a great blog. I'm Brandolon Barnett with Globe Aware based in the US. I originally set up Globe Aware's program in Ghana. I'm sad to hear that organizationally things aren't as desirable as they could be.

    I am, however, very grateful to you students for the work that you are doing in Ghana! I'm so glad also that you got to meet Richard and the people of Kpedze Todze. Ghana is indeed a wonderful place full of smiles despite the hardships that are accompanying its development. Your posts reflect this very well. Richard tells me you guys look very tired so be sure not to overwork yourselves and to enjoy the local culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jason.
    I start wandering about you guys when I so no more new posts. I hope you are doing OK.
    Keep up with your great writing.
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason:

    Keep the faith. The team is putting together a building that will help hundreds, if not thousands of people. The work you are doing now will be what gets you through the hardtimes back home.

    Safe home to you all.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for lovely support! Things are going well, and we are doing quite alright! The internet connection on the other hand has been uber sketchy if not non-existent. I will be posting several posts I have been writing tonight, so thank you again for all your great support, it means a world to the team to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete